WILKES COUNTY BARN QUILT TRAIL
Reflect on times past as you travel through the present scenery of Wilkes County, with homesteads, barns and farms passed down to through the generations. Similar to passing down quilts through the generations and the quilting techniques.
Barns and quilts makes for the perfect combination in the countryside.The quilt patterns were chosen from centuries old, placed on barns of local residents wishing to ensure this legacy, and enjoyed by all who gaze and recognize it as a form of art.
Wilkes County Public School art students participated in producing three blocks, initiating future generations to keep the historic quilting tradition alive.
In December 2012, a new working vertical Barn Quilt Sundial was installed in Downtown Wilkesboro and has become part of the official trail. New trail brochures will be printed and distributed in Spring 2013 to include this new addition.
Presently there are 16 quilts displayed in Wilkes County, NC:
- 8 Point Stars - 11605 W. US 421, Purlear
- American Flag -Record Park, 6th & E St, N. Wilkesboro
- Baby Bovines - 1842 Country Club Rd, Wilkesboro
- Carolina Lily - 196 Victory Lane, Ronda
- Double Wedding Ring - 319 Shingle Gap Rd, Purlear
- Double Wedding Ring - US 421 East between exits 276 and 278
- Dresden Plate - 2241 Lewis Fork Baptist Church Rd, Ferguson
- Drunkard's Path - 10421 Longbottom Rd , Traphill
- Drunkard's Path – 5124 Sparta Rd, NC 18, N. Wilkesboro
- Fan - 1335 Shingle Gap Road, Purlear
- Lemoyne Star - 7688 N. NC 16, Millers Creek
- Lightening Strike - 5900 Boone Trail, Millers Creek
- Stars Aglow - Record Park, 6th & E St, N. Wilkesboro
- Sunbonnet Sue- 6281 S. NC 18, Boomer
- Tulip Block – 3450 Sparta Rd, NC 18, N. Wilkesboro
- Vegetable Garden - 689 Glenn Carlton Road, Boomer
- Vertical Barn Quilt Sundial - Downtown Wilkesboro
Reminders - Safety & Respecting Private Property
- Use caution when traveling along the Quilt Trail. Traveling under speed limit, pausing and/or stopping along any road can be dangerous and illegal.
- All barns are located on private property and should be viewed from the public road unless otherwise indicated on site.
More information is available at links below:
Wilkes County Quilters hosts an annual quilt show the 1st Friday and Saturday of September featuring a different theme each year.