The Accounts Payable department is responsible for the payment of all Town of Wilkesboro obligations/debts. The Town's fiscal year is July 1 through June 30. As the payer of Town's obligations, it is our goal to make payments to vendors in a timely and efficient manner. Invoice submission deadline is every Friday at 5:00 pm for the following week's check processing but are paid at our standard terms of net 30 days. 

*******No work shall be started until all steps and forms are turned into the Finance Dept.*******

Accounts Payable Forms:  (see links below)

- Vendor Forms/Packet 

W-9 Form    

- NC Sales Tax Report/Affidavit


Step 1: Vendor Information form & Terms and Conditions

The vendor is asked to complete a form to provide the town with your company's information, an accounting contact person, payment terms, what the vendor sell or services, and etc. Also you will find our terms and conditions.


Step 2: E-Verify for contracts/purchase orders involving construction, contractual or service work.

New 2015 Legislative update H318: E-Verify Contracting Prohibition for all local governments and state agencies which went into effect on 10/01/2015. E-Verify form is located inside the vendor form packet. 

    • For e-verify information from the UNC School of Government, click here.


Step 3: Iran Divestment Act - Effective 02/26/2016

iran divestment act smallThe Iran Divestment Act of 2015 (N.C.G.S. 143C-6A-1 to 6A-9) was signed by the Governor of North Carolina on June 29, 2015.  Effective February 26, 2016, the Act prohibits:

- The North Carolina Retirement Systems or the Department of State Treasurer from investing funds with individuals or companies engaging in certain defined investment activities in Iran.

- State agencies, local government units, and other political subdivisions of the State from contracting with individuals or companies on the Department of State Treasurer’s Final Divestment List. 

NC Dept of State Treasurer Resources          NC Dept of Treasurer's Memo # 2016-10

NC General Statute 143C-6A                             Iran Divestment Act FAQs by UNC SOG


Step 4: NC Sales & Use Taxes for the "Retailer-Contractor" Form

For invoices with NC Sales and Use Tax on a separate line: Most invoices will more than likely will be shipped to Wilkes County, NC where the NC sales tax rate is 7%. If product is picked up in a different county, please charge that county’s sales tax rate since NC sales tax is charged according to where the product is delivered.


sales tax affidavitFor invoices without NC Sales and Use taxes on a separate line: If your company reports your sales and use tax directly to NC Department of Revenue, your invoices to the Town are not required to have the sales and use tax broken out on a separate line. However, your company is required to certify your company paid sales tax to your supplier(s) and this tax must be reported to the Town on a Sales And Use Tax Reporting Affidavit. The form is located at link above or by clicking on the form image and must be completed for each invoice submitted to the Town along with your supplier’s invoice(s). Payment will only be made when your company’s invoice is submitted along with the completed affidavit and your supplier’s invoice(s). 

This affidavit and supplier's invoices are only released to the NC Department of Revenue during any future sales tax audit(s). We do not share this information with any other persons nor will we sell your information to anyone.


Step 5:  Certificate of Insurance

sample COIThe vendor SHALL NOT BEGIN ANY WORK until a standard Certificate of Insurance to include Employer’s General Liability and Worker’s Compensation Insurances have been received by the Town Clerk. Please contact James K. Byrd at Tel: 336-838-3951 X 234, Fax: 336-838-7616 or email.  

The Contractor and sub-contractor(s) agree that during the term of his/her contract, at their sole cost and expense, shall provide commercial insurances with terms and limits as may be reasonably associated with any contracts and/or services, unless stated differently.

- Vendor/Contracted Worker definition – includes any person or company who enters onto our town owned premises to provide construction, contractual or service related work.

Step 6: Beer / Wine License

Who needs a Beer or Wine Business License? Click here to find out.